Advertise
Contact
Forms
EEdition
Freeman Courier


  • News
  • Sports
  • Opinion
  • Obituaries
  • Photos
    • Photos Of The Day
    • Photo Galleries
  • South Dakota News Watch
  • Archives
    • More Archives
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
    • News
    • Sports
    • Opinion
    • Obituaries
    • Photos
      • Photos Of The Day
      • Photo Galleries
    • South Dakota News Watch
    • Archives
      • More Archives
    • About Us
    • Subscribe
SCHMECKFEST
Nathan Epp, head of school at Freeman Academy, fills an order mid-Friday afternoon, March 19 just outside the school maintenance building. Organizers say the rush was in those first few hours both Friday and Saturday and they did their best to streamline the process and fill the orders as fast as they could. “People were patient, really upbeat and excited to be getting some Schmeckfest food,” said Meranda Van Ningen, who greeted guests while they waited in their vehicles. “It was fantastic.” PHOTO BY TABIT
news
By JEREMY WALTNER  
March 24, 2021

SCHMECKFEST OFFERS ‘TASTE’ OF FESTIVAL

JEREMY WALTNER – PUBLISHER

For those missing Schmeckfest and wanting to get in on at least a sampling of the festival, the Freeman Academy parking lot was the place to be last Friday and Saturday, March 19 and 20 as the second annual Schmeckfest Drive-Thru unfolded on the west side of Sterling Hall.

For five hours each day, vehicles formed a circular line around the perimeter of the parking lot that, at the busiest hours spilled well beyond, to pick up sausage, kuchen and other Country Kitchen items.

The same will be repeated for a second weekend this Friday and Saturday, March 26 and 27 from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. each day.

“We can’t have Schmeckfest, but at least we can have this,” said Meranda Van Ningen, development/marketing director at Freeman Academy and a member of the executive committee of the FA Auxiliary.”

“It was fantastic,” she continued. “The weather was wonderful — minus the strong South Dakota wind — and people were patient, really upbeat and excited to be getting some Schmeckfest food.”

The drive-thru concept was introduced out of necessity a year ago after the coronavirus canceled the traditional festival for the first time in 62 years and returned for a second year when it happened again in 2021.

This year, school and festival officials encouraged preorder sales through schmeckfest.com in an effort to streamline and expedite the process, and Van Ningen said the vast majority of sales came through those orders.

While there was a considerable wait during the early afternoon each day — about an hour at the most — most people were patient and understanding.

“Everybody was so enjoyable to visit with,” said Van Ningen, whose job was to greet the cars as they pulled up to the pick-up spot and visit with the guests. She calls it providing a “parking lot experience” while they waited for their turn to pick up their order, with conversations ranging from small talk with out-of-town guests to information about Heritage Hall Museum and Archives, which has extended hours in conjunction with the drive-thru — from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. Van Ningen said people were friendly and patient.

“They understood the wait,” she said. “They understood this was still new to us and only our second year doing it, and not how we had wanted it to be.”

Van Ningen said after that initial rush, the line thinned out and the wait decreased significantly. After around 2:30 p.m., she estimated, it had been reduced to around 10 minutes.

“After we got past that initial rush, we were able to streamline it considerably, especially compared to last year.”

Once a vehicle had picked up their order, the next guest in line left Van Ningen and pulled into one of three lanes, each with its own runner to pick up and deliver their order. Those who did not place orders ahead of time could still purchase food that was available.

But there wasn’t much left by the end of the day.

“We did run out of quite a few things,” said Van Ningen, who said calls went out this week for additional items. “People are responding to that; we love the energy and people saying ‘yes.’”

Van Ningen was one of fewer than 10 people who worked the drive-up sales and helped fill orders, but that does not count the volunteers who worked with sausage, which was available both online and through phone-in orders ahead of time.

“We couldn’t have many more volunteers due to Covid restrictions,” Van Ningen said, “and the space was not really built for online inventory. I thought, for what we were working with, things were pretty fluid.

“Are there things we can correct? Absolutely. But I don’t know of any changes that we’ll make for the second weekend.”

And she praises both the volunteers who are working the drive-thru and the countless others who are providing food for this major fundraiser.

“It’s amazing,” she said. “It really has been wonderful to see the community come together like this. We are so pleased with how many have come out to support this.”

Those who still want to place an order online for this week’s drive-thru may do so through Thursday. Items that are no longer available have been taken down from the website.

Andre Eisenbeis, left, and Dan Graber were among the volunteers gathering to make sausage in advance of this year’s drive-thru. This photo was taken Wednesday, March 17.

PHOTO BY JEREMY WALTNER

Related Posts
ePaper
coogle_play
app_store


Editor’s Picks
Most Read
‘THIS HAS TURNED INTO AN ABSOLUTE HELL’
news
‘THIS HAS TURNED INTO AN ABSOLUTE HELL’
By Jeremy Waltner 
August 12, 2025
Weiss, others speak out strongly against Dakota Protein Solutions When Timothy Weiss and his wife, Becky, decided to move to Freeman from Valley Sprin...
this is a test
CITY ATTORNEY: TURNER COUNTY HAS AUTHORITY OVER DAKOTA PROTEIN SOLUTIONS
CITY ATTORNEY: TURNER COUNTY HAS AUTHORITY OVER DAKOTA PROTEIN SOLUTIONS
By Jeremy Waltner 
August 5, 2025
Dakota Protein Solutions (DPS), the Turner County rendering plant located a mile-and-a-half southeast of Freeman that has drawn public outcry on socia...
this is a test
DPS SITUATION: RESIDENTS SPEAK OUT; STERN APOLOGIZES; BOARD TO MEET AGAIN SEPT. 23
news
DPS SITUATION: RESIDENTS SPEAK OUT; STERN APOLOGIZES; BOARD TO MEET AGAIN SEPT. 23
By Jeremy Waltner 
August 19, 2025
There were a number of key takeaways from the Turner County Board of Adjustment’s Aug. 19 meeting in which board members reviewed the conditional use ...
this is a test
PHOTO OF THE DAY: FULL HOUSE
photo day
PHOTO OF THE DAY: FULL HOUSE
By Jeremy Waltner 
August 21, 2025
Here is another photo from the Aug. 19 meeting of the Turner County Board of Adjustment that drew more than 40 residents of Freeman, all there to repr...
this is a test
SOX WALLOP BURKE IN STATE AMATEUR OPENER; 79ERS 5TH AT STATE
sports
SOX WALLOP BURKE IN STATE AMATEUR OPENER; 79ERS 5TH AT STATE
By Jeremy Waltner 
August 8, 2025
Burke uses “bombers” as its amateur team’s name. On Sunday afternoon, that moniker much better applied to Freeman. The Blacksox cranked out 19 runs on...
this is a test
ePaper
coogle_play
app_store
Freeman Courier

Stay tuned with us

Accessibility Policy
Privacy
Forms

Copyright © Freeman Courier. All rights reserved.