PHOTO OF THE DAY: A LONG TIME AGO
This photo shows the corner of Main Street and Fourth — today the location of Black Widow Customs — as it looked in the late 1800s when it was used, in part, as the Kaufman Jewelry Store. Here’s a brief history, according to the website, freemansdhistory.com:
In 1893 Aaron Peters built a two story building on corner of Fourth and Main Street (Lot 17 & 18). The building was moved to Seventh Street which later became the Salem Home. In 1898 Rev. Joseph Kaufman bought the lot on Main Street and put up a a two story building Kaufman & Son Jewelry Store. In 1901 Joseph Kaufman and Benjamin Waltner constructed Kaufman & Waltner general store south of the jewelry store (Lot 16).
Kaufman Jewelry Store was a large building. The northwest part of the building was used for jewelry and watch repair, the east was living space. The south east part was used for a grocery store until 1902 when First National Bank opened. The clock above the Jewelry store was installed in 1903. First National Bank operated in the building until 1907, when they moved across the street to the north. Kaufman & Waltner general store moved into the main building, becoming Benjamin Waltner’s Flour and Feed store. The Freeman Hotel opened upstairs. The west part of the upstairs was used for a dentist and a physician until 1919. Joseph Kaufman was in business until 1925, then his son George took over. In 1943 the business closed and Kaufman sold the property to Alvin Huber.
In the years and decades that followed, the property served the Huber family as home to their service station and Ford car dealership.