PHOTO OF THE DAY: OLD SCHOOL
For students attending Freeman Public in the first quarter century of the 1900s, this was their school building. It was located on what is now Lions Park and served the district until it was destroyed by a fire in 1923. A new building was constructed in 1925 on what was then the eastern portion of the community — Wipf Street — and served all students until the junior-senior high school opened 50 years later. The Wipf Street property continued to serve Freeman Elementary students until the current building opened in 2009, when it was destroyed.