PHOTO OF THE DAY: CHURCH ART
This art is included on The Courier’s church sponsorship page this month, with the accompanying text:
These three sketches were included on the back of a 2008 booklet commemorating the centennial anniversary of the Salem Mennonite Church, commonly referred to as the South Church. The artwork was done by Bertha Preheim and Leone Graber on the occassion of the congregation’s 75th anniversary and shows the first three buildings used from 1908 to 1917, 1917 to 1966 and 1966 to 1985 — the year the church building (sans bell tower) was destroyed by a fire. The structure that was built in its place and still in use today looks largely similar to the one that was lost to arson. The 100-year anniversary of the South Church was observed 15 years ago this month.