Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Marian Huber

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Marian Huber

Posted in:

Marian G. Huber was born Feb. 10, 1925 in Freeman, S.D., to Jacob M. and Anna Bisbing Huber. She was confirmed in the Bethlehem Reformed Church on June 22, 1941 by WM E. Korn. She attended Freeman Public School where she was very active in sports, music, band and drama, and graduated in 1943. She then entered Eastern State College, Madison, S.D., and earned her bachelor of science degree. While attending college, she managed to teach one year in Raymond, S.D.

After graduation in 1950, she operated a paint business in the Freeman area. During this time she managed a girls softball team that finished runners-up two years in a row at the State Softball Championships.

In 1953, Marian enlisted as a WAC in the U.S. Army where she eventually rose in rank to Master Sergeant. She served as an Army Instructor or Administration Specialist at five different Army posts in the USA; in Heidelberg, Germany (1955-1957); and in Frankfort and Stuttgart, Germany (1960-62). Marian was able to excel in many individual and team sports open to the WACS.

She retired in 1973; then went into a dog grooming business in Farmingdale, N.J. with a friend. In September of 1979, she moved back to Freeman and lived at 508 S. Juniper Street, then the Salem Home, and in the Tieszen Memorial Nursing Home, where she died March 19, 2018, at the age of 93.

Surviving relatives are her sister Mrs. H. Junior Engbrecht (Nita); nephews: Donald Duncan of Payson, Utah and Robin (Deanna Carns) of Colfax, Calif.; four great-nieces and three great-nephews. 

Preceding her in death were her parents; siblings: Mrs. Laurel Duncan (Lillian), Wilbur (Margaret Heinz) and Mrs. Armin Dubs (Jeannette); and two nephews: Terry Dubs and Bruce Duncan.

A memorial service was held at the Tieszen Mennonite Home Chapel in Marion Saturday, March 24, with Rev. Robert Engbrecht officiating. Internment with military honors was held in the Freeman Cemetery.