This photo of the interior of the Salem-Zion Mennonite Church was taken from the rear balcony in 1948. The wooden structure was a 1912 expansion of the original church built in 1880. Already in 1948, the congregation was discussing the need for a new meeting house because of overcrowding and the deteriorating condition of the building. A year after this photo was taken, a "church improvement committee" was established to raise funds for a new church. In 1952, the congregation voted to hire Harold Spitznagel and Associates as architect for a new church to be located north of the original/expanded church. Groundwork to build a new brick structure began in 1955, construction began in 1956 and the first service was held in the new (and current) church Dec. 1, 1957. The church pictured here was dismantled starting in December 1957 and completed the following spring.