The Freeman Volunteer Fire Department responded to a call at the Derald and Peggy Waltner home at the corner of Second and Wipf streets shortly before 6:15 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 23, after the home owners reported smelling smoke.
There was no visible smoke — or flames — when firefighters arrived.
Freeman Fire Chief Cody Fransen said no outlets were hot, but firefighters discovered three breakers had been tripped. The cause of the odor, Fransen said, was an organ in the entry of the house that had overheated and was smoldering inside. He said there was no visible damage to the organ.
Note: The fire siren that sounded Thursday morning was not the old familiar distinct high-low alternating alarm but rather a slower sustained up-and-down wail. The city is now using the two new severe weather warning sirens – the one installed at Freeman City Hall several years ago and the one near the Freeman Public School campus installed this summer for both fire and severe weather alarms said Fransen. The old fire siren has been retired. When the sirens are used to alert resident of severe weather, instead of the up-and-down wail, the sound will continue to be the familiar steady blast as the sirens rotate.